Applying the Otago Falls Prevention Program in Practice
May 2 @ 9:00 am - 12:00 pm$20
Muscle strengthening and balance exercises are known to be the most effective measures to prevent falls in older adults. The Otago Exercise Program, specifically designed to prevent falls, is an individually tailored, home based balance and strength falls prevention program delivered to older adults by a trained instructor. The program has shown to be effective in reducing the number of falls and number of injuries resulting from falls. The Otago program is most effective and best targeted towards older adults at highest risk, including those over 80 years of age and those who have previously fallen. This workshop aims to upskill health professionals who work with older adults to provide the opportunity to:
- Learn the strength and balance principles of the Otago program
- Acquire the skills and confidence to deliver the Otago program including assessing participants, tailoring the program, and ensuring exercises are performed safely
- Increase your ability to be able to provide effective feedback and motivate Otago program participants
This workshop hopes to:
- Increase awareness of falls prevalence and why it is important to prevent falls.
- Increase knowledge of the ageing process and other health conditions impact on falls risk.
- Increase knowledge of multifactorial assessment for those older adults at risk of falls.
- Increase knowledge to implement a therapeutic intervention to address risk factors identified in the multifactorial assessment.
- Increase awareness of the Otago Falls Prevention Program.
Who should attend?
This workshop is best suited for physiotherapists, occupational therapists, and allied health professionals with specific interest in exercise and older adults i.e. exercise physiologists and registered nurses.
Injury Matters Cancellation and Refund Policy
- Participants may request a refund or transfer their registration to another person if they are unable to attend.
- Cancellation or requests to transfer registration to another person must be received in writing by emailing [email protected] within five (5) working days of the workshop.
- No tentative bookings will be accepted.
- Non-attendance or cancellations received within five (5) working days of the start of the workshop will incur the full fee.